Pages: 1
lagophile
Transient

Reged: 09/02/01
Loc: West Florida
SWF day, May 1, 2002
      #82175 - 05/02/02 03:18 AM

Hi y'all,

I finally made it back to SWF after a one-month hiatus, and there are a few changes to report, mostly good.

First of all, two of the females in Maternity have given birth. One of the AC types gave me the names but I only remember one of them: Kibble or Kibby? (note to self: take notepad and pen on next SWF visit!). I think I would know the other name if I saw it. Anyway, the calves look wonderful--both still had prominent fetal folds but were swimming strongly alongside their mothers. I did get pictures, and will run those if they come out.

While I was talking to AC about the births I asked about Scotia. He's doing fine.

The interactions at DC were real spotty, but I did get to learn some new "faces": Nova, Lily, and Belle. Belle is one FAT dolphin! Nova is lean and elegant, and I can definitely see where Scotia's squinty eyes came from! Her current dependent calf, Deke, has them too.

At one point Clipper came up and promptly grabbed my arm! I knew that type of interaction was wrong so as soon as I could, I extracted my arm and stood up. She started that low, almost gutteral sounding vocalization (sort of a dolphin equivalent to "I don't wanna!") and then began spitting water on me. I leaned over on another one of her approaches to try to pet her, but was not watching as closely as I could, and got my arm grasped again by Clipper.

Next thing you know an AC trainer is tapping me on the shoulder. I follow her to a secluded area well behind the crowd. I knew it was about the biting from Clipper. She actually treated me very well, almost like a fellow professional. I explained what I was trying to do (not reinforce the biting) but that I had just been caught not looking that last time. I was very surprised at what she said in the end: "We trust you. Just be careful."

So it seems I'm better known there than I thought--and I seem to have gained some measure of respect as well. That made up for the spotty interactions I had been having all day.

BTW, for you orca fans, I didn't make it over to Shamu Stadium, but I did get some aerials (finally) from the Skytower showing the DWS area. I'll run those as soon as I get the fiilm back.

Andy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Taku
Resident

Reged: 09/15/01
Loc: London England
Re: SWF day, May 1, 2002 [Re: lagophile]
      #82180 - 05/02/02 04:21 AM

Sounds like a fun day!! Thanks for posting,

--------------------
Nicki

Malik
Resident

Reged: 01/31/02
Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #82247 - 05/02/02 11:45 AM

lol great day! so how many dolphins are in the nursery now?

--------------------
~Malik~

nukdaman
Resident

Reged: 03/18/01
      #82360 - 05/02/02 03:46 PM

BELLE!!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking the DWS pics- I can't wait to see them!

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SWF day, May 1, 2002 [Re: nukdaman]
      #82376 - 05/02/02 04:07 PM

andy
did it hurt? did u bleed?
duke

lagophile
Transient

Reged: 09/02/01
Loc: West Florida
      #82414 - 05/02/02 06:19 PM

Well, guess what: my scanner picked tonight to die! I'll try to scan those photos as soon as I can. I did get one really nice baby photo.

Andy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Admin, Kasatka 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3896

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Home