Whales >> Whales

Pages: 1
Nikki

Reged: 12/08/06
Loc: Groton, Connecticut
Pregnancy signs?
      #139379 - 10/09/09 09:56 PM

Is there any outward signs of a beluga is pregnant, in early pregnancy, so you wouldn't see a belly yet.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
UlisesGirl
Resident

Reged: 03/29/01
Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Re: Pregnancy signs? [Re: Nikki]
      #139380 - 10/09/09 11:29 PM

Not really...

Their behavior may change slightly, but really - it's tough to tell. There have been a number of births in numerous cetacean species that were unplanned and unanticipated.

Further along, the mammaries will start getting a bit more swollen, but that's really not until quite a bit later in the pregnancy.

--------------------
Leah

Nikki

Reged: 12/08/06
Loc: Groton, Connecticut
Re: Pregnancy signs? [Re: UlisesGirl]
      #139381 - 10/10/09 07:08 AM

thanks, they have been doing alot of ultrasounds on Kela, measurements, and she hasn't been doing alot of the active feeding time stuff lately. Here is a photo of her totally stretched out, and them taking measurements. They have been doing this several months now. But Mystic also takes measurements on all the whales to get estimated weights. When I go again next week I will get a shot of her mammerys, they are out but I never paid that much attention to them to begin with to know if its normal.

and in my area of the aquarium, we don't get this info, so its all observation just like anyone else.

the measuring happened in the back pool and I only had a 138mm zoom, so the crop is too far for a good shot
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2558/3997312189_8f4760430e_b.jpg

Here is her stretched
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/3998072324_7cc7c78371_b.jpg

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Kasatka, xfkirsten 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4874

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Home