Whales >> Whales

Pages: 1
GreekOrca
Resident

Reged: 03/27/01
Loc: Philadelphia
Ruby?
      #138708 - 06/29/08 08:31 AM

Does anyone know what happened with Ruby's pregnancy at SWC? I just found on a website that she gave birth on May 27, but since I've heard nothing since then is it safe to assume the calf didn't make it? Anyone know what happened?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
loveforRuka
Offshore

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Orange, CA
Re: Ruby? [Re: GreekOrca]
      #138711 - 06/30/08 01:51 PM

The calf was doing well, up until Tuesday the 17th. And it died sometime between then and early Wednesday. Ruby rejected the calf, and got a little aggressive with it. They took the calf in the back and became tube feeding and moved Ruby to AC. She was moved back when the calf died.

GreekOrca
Resident

Reged: 03/27/01
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Ruby? [Re: loveforRuka]
      #138715 - 07/01/08 06:14 PM

Quote:

The calf was doing well, up until Tuesday the 17th. And it died sometime between then and early Wednesday. Ruby rejected the calf, and got a little aggressive with it. They took the calf in the back and became tube feeding and moved Ruby to AC. She was moved back when the calf died.

So was she at one point nuring the calf and then turned? I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Either way, what a sad ending to the first beluga AI calf, and easily the oldest beluga birth in captivity. Was the calf a boy or a girl?

loveforRuka
Offshore

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Orange, CA
Re: Ruby? [Re: GreekOrca]
      #138716 - 07/02/08 10:42 AM

Sorry I wrote that in the wrong order. I updated first, then gave the story. Ruby rejected right away and they were tube feeding it. I never found out.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Kasatka, xfkirsten 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5959

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Home