Orcas >> Orcas of the Wild

Pages: 1
OrcaArtist
Resident

Reged: 01/02/03
Loc: TN-USA
Luna Spirit of the Whale movie
      #138177 - 01/04/08 03:22 PM

I saw a copy at the rental store, so I decided to check it out.

First of all the animatronic whale is horrible. The one in Orca looked more realistic than this one. The story takes the side of the First Nations band. There's also a second story of a man who comes back home to the tribe and eventually takes his place as the new chief. Basically the tribe tries to save Luna from being captured and taken back to his home waters and even from rumors of Luna being sold to a marine park (Marineland is a name used). In the end, Luna goes off on his own once the new chief has taken his place. At least at the end it states that Luna died, but it never says how he died.

The movie actually made me a bit mad at times because of the way it portrayed the researchers who tried so hard to bring him back to his real family.

--------------------
Amanda

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Remedy
Calf

Reged: 11/21/05
Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Luna Spirit of the Whale movie [Re: OrcaArtist]
      #138179 - 01/05/08 08:29 AM

I saw this movie when it first aired on CTV and was disgusted. Hopefully no one feels it's an accurate representation for what happened. I was sorely disappointed when I found out it was released onto DVD.

--------------------

KasatkaAdministrator
Resident

Reged: 10/12/00
Loc: Colorado
      #138186 - 01/05/08 09:23 PM

That's rather sad considering that the researchers seemed rather respectful of the whole thing. =P

--------------------
~ Kim

KasatkaAdministrator
Resident

#138192 - 01/09/08 12:04 AM

Does anybody know if "Saving Luna" ever made it to DVD?

--------------------
~ Kim

OrcaArtist
Resident

Reged: 01/02/03
Loc: TN-USA
Re: Luna Spirit of the Whale movie [Re: Kasatka]
      #138193 - 01/09/08 08:13 PM

I haven't seen anything. Is it a lot better than this one?

--------------------
Amanda

KasatkaAdministrator
Resident

#138194 - 01/09/08 11:51 PM

It looks amazing. I know it was screened for the public, but I don't know if anything else ever happened with it.

--------------------
~ Kim

GreekOrca
Resident

Reged: 03/27/01
Loc: Philadelphia
      #138212 - 01/14/08 07:19 AM

Quote:

It looks amazing. I know it was screened for the public, but I don't know if anything else ever happened with it.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ruu-UN4_Yc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0ruu-UN4_Yc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Oh my goodness

WildOrca
Resident

Reged: 04/26/01
Loc: Washington State
      #138288 - 02/06/08 08:10 PM

Hi! I know I haven't been here for awhile, but thought I'd post this link to "Saving Luna"

http://www.mountainsidefilms.com/savingluna/index.html

They haven't made it to DVD yet as it's touring film festivals for the time being.

Also, I've seen the Spirit of the Whale movie, and it was told from the native's point of view, and it's a hard thing to judge really. For all involved, even those who made Saving Luna, it was really a tough thing to work with, and the natives have rights as well. I don't think they meant to hurt Luna. It all just ended up being such a sad ending. I've been to many symposiums and whale meetings, and have heard from many that there was really no answer to this dispute. It was almost politcal. So very sad really. I have a hard time with it, because I am Cherokee in my blood, and I'm sure there were reasons for the First Nation people to do what they did. There was also reason to believe that the wildlife experts wanted to take Luna into captivity as well. It wasn't told by all sides, and believe me, there were MANY sides in it, and it didn't appear to be told from US side at all. There was much more to this than that film told, that is what upset me. But it was something you can't put fully into a 90 min movie either.
Just take it with a grain of salt.

Ciao! I'm off to Hawaii this weekend for a week! I'm going out to see humpbacks as well. This is their birthing and breeding grounds this time of the year, and they are in! I'm very excitied to get to go someplace new and exciting. We are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary as well. Also doing a snorkel trip. Hoping to see some Spinner and Bottlenose Dolphins.

--------------------
~WiLdOrCa!~
Vickie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8897

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Home