Pages: 1
Spirit
Calf

Reged: 11/07/02
Loc: Great Southern Land
Species of Bottlenose and Humpback Dolphins
      #132962 - 03/26/06 08:03 PM

Hi guys,

I have an assignment coming up for university to write a report on a speciose group of marine animals with one species represented in the Moreton Bay area (The bay off Brisbane, Australia). We have to write about the characteristics of the group that you think have contributed to the high level of diversification, and look at aeras such as reproduction, feeding, dispersal, and adaptive use of their environment.

I have decided either to do Wobbegong sharks, manta ray (family) or either Humpback dolphins or Bottlenose dolphins. At the moment I'm leaning towards the dolphins, as there are so many more papers written about them.

I just would like some conformation about how many RECOGNISED species of Bottlenose and Humpback dolphins there are.

I have found five for Humpback dolphins. They are:

S. chinensis (Humpback Dolphin/Indo-Pacific Humpback Dolphin/Pacific Humpback Dolphin)
S. plumbea (Indian Humpback Dolphin/Plumbeous Humpback Dolphin)
S. teuszi (Atlantic Humpback Dolphin)
S. lentiginosa
S. borneensis

S. chinensis and S. teuszi are definites, although i have found some articles relating to S plumbea. Is this a recognised species yet, and are the latter two used?

For Bottlenose, I've found;

T. truncatus (Common Bottlenose dolphin)
T aduncus (Indo-pacific Bottlenose dolphin)

I know that many people believe there is T.aduncus, but is this internationally recognised yet?

And are these subspecies of Bottlenose dolphin recognised?:

Pacific Bottlenose Dolphin (T. gillii or T. truncatus gillii)
Black Sea Bottlenose Dolphin (T. truncatus ponticus)

i would appreciate anyone who could clarify this taxonomy, and any supporting evidence would be excellent.

Thanks!!!

--------------------
~Spirit ~

So long, and thanks for all the fish! <>{

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dasha
Offshore

Reged: 11/09/05
Re: Species of Bottlenose and Humpback Dolphins [Re: Spirit]
      #132963 - 03/27/06 02:21 AM

Hi Spirit!
The taxonomy varies literal every day! Always there are two or more directions in taxonomy of each species.
The taxonomy of the Sousa genus is complicated and disputed. As many as five species have been proposed - S. chinensis (Humpback Dolphin/Indo-Pacific Humpback Dolpin/Pacific Humpback Dolphin), S. plumbea (Indian Humpback Dolphin/Plumbeous Humpback Dolphin), S. teuszi (Atlantic Humpback Dolphin), S. lentiginosa and S. borneensis. By the mid-1990s most authorities accepted just two species - the Atlantic and the Indo-Pacific. Scientist Rice however in his widely used 1998 systematic account identified three species - viewing the Indo-Pacific as two species named simply the Indian and Pacific. The dividing line between the two (sub)species is taken to be Sumatra, one of the Indonesian islands, however inter-mixing is thought inevitable.
Further, Australian cetologist Graham Ross writes "However, recent morphological studies, somewhat supported equivocally by genetic analyses, indicate that there is a single, variable species for which the name S. chinensis has priority".
Usually use classification with two species (S. chinensis and S. teuszii).
Most of Russian cetologists use Truncatus taxonomy with one species T. truncatus and three subspecies - T.t. ponticus, T.t. gilli, T.t. aducus. Sometimes, T.t. ponticus, T.t. gilli and T.t.truncatus (included Atlantic bottlenose dolphin and Indo-pacific Bottlenose dolphin).
But in other world usually use taxonomy with two species - truncatus and aduncus.
I think, you can be founded on cetacean taxonomy of American Cetacean Society http://www.acsonline.org/education/taxonomy.html
Good luck!

Cat
Resident

Reged: 09/15/03
Loc: St. Augustine, FL
Re: Species of Bottlenose and Humpback Dolphins [Re: Dasha]
      #132964 - 03/27/06 02:34 AM

As Dasha said, I've heard definites on T. aduncus and truncatus. T. truncatus gilli is considered a subspecies.

I've never seen more than two species of humpback dolphins noted in major publications. THat's not to say that one day they'll be recogntized, but I'd say the tursiops are your best bet if you want to stick with something that has definitely been split into two species.

--------------------
Nonsense! I could be arguing in my spare time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5393

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Home