Dolphins (& Porpoises) >> Dolphins & Porpoises

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Klondike
Calf

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: Canada
Re: Daisy - harbor porpoise at VA [Re: Kasatka]
      #139273 - 05/31/09 11:07 PM

She was only a few weeks old when she was rescued...
her skin was badly burnt, she was so weak and would float motionless, only be held above water by the floating device staff and volunteers built (without it she would have drowned). It was a miracle that she survived.
She had to be stomach-tubed for several months before she finally started to eat fish and dive!
She is housed at the rescue center which is an entirely different location than the aquarium itself.
I don't think she had a chance of surviving out in the ocean, she does not know how to hunt and all by herself she would be snapped up by a transient in a second. Harbour porpoises usually live in small groups.
If I remember correctly she was recently considered unreleasable.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
loveforRuka
Offshore

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Orange, CA
Re: Daisy - harbor porpoise at VA [Re: Klondike]
      #139274 - 06/01/09 11:10 AM

Do you think she'll be put with the lags?

Klondike
Calf

Re: Daisy - harbor porpoise at VA [Re: loveforRuka]
      #139282 - 06/06/09 01:02 AM

Hm. I don't think she will ever be on public display or in the actual aquarium. But who knows what happens, especially since the number of lags can only decrease...I know they were talking about shipping her to the US before but I am not uptodate. I used to help out with "Daisy" when she was just brought in and needed to be tube-fed and supported during her swim exercises, haven't seen her since then.
The aquarium is very strict about cleaniness and possible transfer of diseases, e.g. if you help out at the rescue center, you are not allowed to go to the aquarium for the next 24 hours and they expect you to shower and change your clothes, so I am not sure if they would want to bring the porpoise to the aquarium.

Cat
Resident

Reged: 09/15/03
Loc: St. Augustine, FL
      #139283 - 06/06/09 03:12 AM

After a proper quarantine period and many vet checks, the notion of transferring diseases is virtually eliminated. Any facility in the US would certain require Daisy to have undergone the aforementioned things, and I would guess the VA is the same way. At some point, it should be safe to introduce Daisy to an area that exposes her to the dolphins.

--------------------
Nonsense! I could be arguing in my spare time.

Klondike
Calf

Re: Daisy - harbor porpoise at VA [Re: loveforRuka]
      #139284 - 06/07/09 07:34 PM

Just got new info:
Daisy is actually coming to the Aquarium, and she is going to be put in with the seals.

GreekOrca
Resident

Reged: 03/27/01
Loc: Philadelphia
      #139291 - 06/20/09 03:46 AM

Hmmm, is that why the old Seal Pool is under renovation, or is she going in the back tank at Wild Coast?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Admin, Kasatka 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17902

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Home